World Literature

Navigation + Search
Home / News / “Viewpoint Blends” A Presentation by Professor Mark Turner

“Viewpoint Blends” A Presentation by Professor Mark Turner

Posted on December 10, 2014

On Wednesday, January 28 at 5:00pm in Clark Hall 206, Mark Turner, Institute Professor of Cognitive Science, will be giving a presentation titled “Viewpoint Blends” as part of the World Literature Colloquium Series.

A participant in any scene of communication is embodied, and so has a viewpoint. An individual person is in a particular spot, in a particular time, with a particular perceptual focus and attention. If I say, “I can help you now by looking here,” what I have said is unintelligible unless you understand something about my viewpoint, and accordingly what I might mean by “I,” “you,” “now,” and “here,” words that could mean many different things in different situations, depending on the viewpoint of the person who says them. All languages have many expressions for expressing viewpoint, but they also have plenty of expressions for expressing blends of viewpoint. “I will come to your party” takes the “I” from the viewpoint of the speaker but the “come” from the viewpoint of the addressee. Literary texts frequently use pyrotechnic constructions of blended viewpoint. This talk will present types of blended viewpoint in language, literature, and media.

This event is sponsored by the Department of Classics and is free and open to the public.

Page last modified: December 10, 2014