The W. P. Jones Presidential Faculty Development Fund makes available small grants (usually up to $5,000) to support the scholarly activities of untenured tenure-track faculty members in the performing arts, humanities, and social sciences. The administration of this fund has been designated to the Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences. Funds are awarded in two annual solicitations in the fall and spring semesters. A small faculty committee chaired by Associate Dean Stephen Haynesworth will review the proposals.
Examples of the kinds of expenditures that are eligible for support include:
- activities related to the development of innovative approaches to teaching or their application to
new or existing courses and/or development of new undergraduate courses;
- attendance at seminars for enhancing or re-orienting research and/or teaching;
- travel to initiate or complete research projects;
- attendance at professional conferences and workshops for the presentation of research;
- purchase of research materials–including specialized software;
- subvention of publication costs of books that have been accepted;
- payment to students assisting faculty in research activities; and,
- payment of partial summer stipends.
Expenditures that are not appropriate for funding under this program include funds to complete graduate requirements, funds to release a faculty member from teaching, or the purchase of computers or peripherals when they are to be used as normal office equipment (as distinguished from dedicated use in experimental procedures).
Application Due Dates
Fall Semester: Second Friday in September at 5 pm
- September 16, 2022
- September 15, 2023
- September 13, 2024
Spring Semester: Second Friday in January at 5 pm
- January 14, 2022
- January 13, 2023
- January 12, 2024