Websites and social media sites are important tools for communication that allow you to share information with a global audience. The College of Arts and Sciences’ marketing and communications team has established a robust social media presence to engage our various audiences and share information about news and events, always with the aim to promote the college, its people and its programs.
At the College of Arts and Sciences, we use WordPress as our content management platform. For detailed information on how to build and maintain your website, visit our Website Documentation Policies and Procedures online resource.
Social media sites like Facebook and Twitter allow people to connect and interact easily. The college’s social media accounts including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn accounts. Several of the college’s academic departments and centers maintain their own social media sites too.
- Think about your purpose(s). What information do you want to share? Do you want to share information with a wide audience? Who is your target audience? Do you want to create a forum for site members to use for communicating and sharing experiences?
- Develop a strategy. Who will be the administrator for your social media accounts? How often will your presence be updated? How will you decide on content? Develop a plan before making your social media presence public.
- Recognize the commitment social media requires. Be prepared to post content on a regular basis and check up on your sites frequently. Social media is an interactive endeavor, requiring regular content submissions from your account administrator as well as responses to and maintenance of interaction from other users.
- Choose the right administrator. When choosing the person who will manage your social media accounts, it is important to give the job to someone who enjoys doing it. Social media sites require few resources, but being an administrator demands an understanding of social networking, an ability to maintain current sites and an interest in staying up-to-date with emerging technologies.
- Don’t spam your network! It is essential to maintain and update your social media sites on a regular basis, but be aware of the volume of information you distribute. If you start posting dozens of times per day, you may end up turning away potential followers who feel inundated with too much information.
- It is important to create the most appropriate online presence from the beginning so you don’t have to make major changes after your network has already grown. For example, if you start a Facebook group when a page would be more appropriate, it is difficult to change from one to the other once you have 300 members.
- Social networking sites provide a way for you to see the number of people following you or interacting with your public profile. Facebook calls these advanced metrics “insights” and are available for the page administrator on your page profile.
The College of Arts and Sciences Facebook page was created as a way to further establish the college’s online presence and to enhance the common identity shared by students, alumni, faculty and staff within the college.
Facebook Business Manager
University Marketing and Communications (UMC) is requiring that all Facebook pages using the university name, logo or representing Case Western Reserve in an official capacity must use Facebook Business Manager and add a representative from University Marketing and Communications as an account administrator on their Facebook page(s). UMC will not try to control a page or post updates to it, but will help ensure continuity on pages in the event that an account manager leaves the university. Requiring this step ensures that if offensive posts are added to a page, an additional way exists for them to be removed.
Facebook Business Manager allows multiple people to more easily manage a page or multiple pages. For example, if a department manages multiple Facebook pages, Business Manager allows those pages to be grouped under the same Business Manager account. Administrators of the Business Manager account can then give different levels of permission to different people on different pages.
Create a Facebook Page for Your Department/Center
- Create a personal profile: In order to create a Business Manager account you must have your own personal profile. Facebook takes you step-by-step. Fill in your information on the homepage to get started or check out Facebook’s Help Center for more detailed information.
- Create a Business Manager account: Create an account for your department/center following the steps found here.
- Create your page: From within Business Manager, go to Business Settings, click the “Pages” tab, click “Add New Pages,” and choose “Create a new page.” Choose “Company, Organization or Institution” and set your category as “Education.” Then create a name for your page. Your page’s name should be intuitive and simple so that people can easily find it (e.g. CWRU Department of Theater).
- Add information and begin posting: It is important to update your page with a description, profile picture and location soon after creating the page but before posting content. Having a profile picture and description will make your page much more appealing and professional. Once you have your page established, you can start posting content.
Security and Your Facebook Presence
When you create a new page on Facebook, you have the option to allow various degrees of openness in followers’ ability to interact with the page. Users may have open access to post on the wall, comment on your posts, add photos and videos or start discussions. You may also choose to block users from posting to any of those features. We recommend keeping all options open to your followers. The benefits of allowing more open, rich networking on your page mean that your online presence will have higher-quality content that is more relevant to your followers. In order to check for unwanted user content and to respond to desirable content, it is important to monitor all of your pages frequently.
Twitter is a great way to broadcast information about activities or opportunities that students, faculty or alumni could actively take advantage of. Examples of such postings could include advertising a student activity or a reminder about registration for an event. Twitter is about connecting and conversation. Think about who you choose to “follow.” For example, the College of Arts and Sciences’ Twitter account follows peer institutions’ Arts and Sciences profiles, higher education news, and University Circle institutions. Following others helps you get more followers and news updates.
Two unique characteristics about Twitter are hashtags (#CWRU) and mentions (@CWRUArtSci). Learn the basics here and get started. Using the hashtag #CWRU will ensure that your tweets appear on the Tinkham Veale University Center Media wall.
Unlike Facebook, Twitter posts, or “tweets,” are limited to a maximum of 140 characters, including any URLs you might include in the post. For this reason, you may want to use a URL shortener to save more space for text in your posts. There are many URL-shortening sites; the college uses bit.ly, explained in greater detail below.
Instagram is a platform that allows users to share photos with the world. It is an excellent way to engage and connect with your audience because it’s focused on images and not words. The College of Arts and Sciences Instagram account gives followers a glimpse of what it’s like to be on campus and in Cleveland, with photos from events, classrooms, labs, campus buildings and scenery. Learn the basics here to get started.
The primary purpose of the College of Arts and Sciences LinkedIn group is to establish a forum for alumni and others connected with the college to connect in a more professional online setting. Information on creating a company LinkedIn page can be found here. LinkedIn is strictly professional though, so you may find Twitter and Facebook better meet the needs and purpose of your social media presence instead.
Creating a channel on YouTube can be a useful way to share your own videos with many people. Your videos can be found on YouTube, but by uploading a video it becomes easier to share it on other sites such as Facebook and Twitter. A YouTube channel also includes a “favorites” feature, allowing you to identify and promote videos that others have posted which are relevant to the content of your channel. The College of Arts and Sciences’ YouTube channel is set up like a video archive. Learn how to create a YouTube channel here.
Bit.ly is one of several sites that shortens long URLs. Because Twitter posts only allow a maximum of 140 characters, a shortened URL allows more space for text in the post. For this reason, the college created a bit.ly account primarily for use with Twitter. Bit.ly also allows users to link their account to Twitter, allowing users to write a full post with the shortened URL and save a step by posting directly to Twitter from the bit.ly page. Additionally, it allows users to view metrics about interactions from Twitter that Twitter itself does not provide. Bit.ly keeps a log of all links that have been shortened in your account, along with statistics about total hits for each site and how many of the total hits came from the link you shortened and posted.
Canva is a free website that enables you to quickly and easily make social media graphics. You can choose from many different design templates, access millions of free images and shapes, add text to your graphics and more. Canva is a great way to make your social media posts stand out.
Tracking your social media pages’ performance is a good way to gain insights into your audience and help you plan your social media strategy. While most social media platforms offer some kind of analytics (e.g. Facebook Insights, Twitter Analytics), Dasheroo allows you to keep track of all your metrics in one place. Not only does Dasheroo keep track of social media metrics, but it can also track Google Analytics data, MailChimp data and more.
Hootsuite allows you to manage multiple social media accounts in one place. The free version allows you to link up to three social media accounts; the paid versions allow more. The college uses Hootsuite to schedule future posts to Twitter and Instagram.