When Xenophon Scott (1842-1909) began practicing in Cleveland he was considered the most thoroughly trained ophthalmologist in the city. He earned his B.A. at Jefferson College (1865) and his medical degree from Western Reserve College (1867). In 1869 he earned a second M.D. from the College of Physicians and Surgeons in New York City. Then he spent a year at the Eye Hospital in Heidelburg Germany, and another at the New York Ophthalmic and Aural Institute.
Dr. Scott was a lecturer at the Western Reserve University (1871) and after one year became the first professor of ophthalmology, otology, and laryngology, a position he held until 1881.