Degree: PhD, University of Arizona
Organic, polymers, biomaterials, synthesis, materials characterization, 3-D printing, photochemistry, data science, green chemistry, chemical education
- Postdoc at Duke University, Durham, NC, 2022
- PhD in Chemistry at the University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ, 2019
- MS in Chemical Engineering at Koç University, Istanbul, Turkey, 2014
- BS in Chemistry at METU, Ankara, Turkey, 2011
Karayilan Research Lab is a multidisciplinary research team that develops soft matter solutions for unmet biomedical and technological needs. The team executes a “retrosynthetic” or “reverse-engineering” approach to structure-property-application relationships of polymers for new materials development. We identify current challenges where soft materials might be advantageous with their unique properties in proposed solutions. We then explore functional synthetic and manufacturing constructs with the appropriate properties that address these challenges. We will also maximize the performance of the materials and increase our current understanding of the materials’ design, synthesis, and properties at a molecular level by leveraging the emerging field of data-driven computational models.
- Karayilan, M.*; McDonald, S. M.; Bahnick, A. J.; Godwin, K.; Chan, Y. M.; Becker, M. L. “Reassessing Undergraduate Polymer Laboratory Experiments for Virtual Learning Environments.” J. Chem. Educ., 2022, 99, 5,1877-1889.
- Karayilan, M.*; Vakil, J.; Fowler, D.; Becker, M. L.; Cox, C. “Zooming in on Polymer Chemistry and Designing Synthesis of High-Sulfur Content Polymers for Virtual Undergraduate Laboratory Experiment” J. Chem. Educ., 2021, 98, 6, 2062-2073.
- Karayilan, M.; Clamen, L.; Becker, M. L. “Polymeric Materials for Eye Surface and Intraocular Applications.” Biomacromolecules, 2021, 22, 2, 223-261.
- Clary, K. E.; Karayilan, M.; McCleary-Petersen, K. C.; Petersen, H.; Glass, R. S.; Pyun, J.; Lichtenberger, D. L. “Enhancing the Hydrogen Evolution Reaction in Neutral Water with Protic Buffer Electrolytes.” PNAS, 2020, 117, 52, 32947-32953.
- Karayilan, M.; Brezinski, W. P.; Clary, K. E.; Lichtenberger, D. L.; Glass, R. S.; Pyun, J. “Catalytic Metallopolymers from [2Fe-2S] Clusters: Artificial Metalloenzymes for Hydrogen Production.” Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., 2019, 58, 7537-7550.
- Brezinski, W. P.; Karayilan, M.; Clary, K. E.; Pavlopoulos, N. G.; Li, S.; Fu, L. Y.; Matyjaszewski, K.; Evans, D. H.; Glass, R. S.; Lichtenberger, D. L.; Pyun, J. “[FeFe]‐Hydrogenase Mimetic Metallopolymers with Enhanced Catalytic Activity for Hydrogen Production in Water.” Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2018, 57, 11898.