Case Western Reserve offers an undergraduate minor in film. This flexible minor is designed to accommodate both busy student schedules and a wide range of possible interests in the cinema.

See what some undergraduates who studied film at Case Western have gone on to do.


Film Minor Requirements



This course is open to all students, including first years, and has no prerequisites.


THE REMAINING 12 CREDITS can consist of any combination of the following:

  • ENGL 368—TOPICS IN FILM (up to 12 credits)

ENGL 368—Topics in Film courses are open to all students, including first years, and have no prerequisites, including ENGL 367—INTRODUCTION TO FILM. There is no limit on the number of ENGL 368 credits a CWRU undergrad can earn.

ENGL 368 courses have included History of Film, Horror Films, Films of Alfred Hitchcock, American Cinema History & Culture, Film Genres, Science Fiction Films, Shakespeare and Film, Classic American Novels on Film, Latin American Cinema, Watching Movies, Film Music, and Storytelling & Cinema.

  • ENGL 316—SCREENWRITING (up to 3 credits)
  • APPROVED ELECTIVE COURSES (up to 6 credits)

Courses that have counted as electives toward the film minor include: Immersion Journalism/Multimedia Storytelling, French and African Cinema, Latin American Cinema, Black Religion & Film, The Hollywood Musical, Topics in German Cinema, Film Music, Jewish Image in Popular Culture, The Hollywood Musical, Sword & Sandal: The Ancient Mediterranean in Film, James Bond & Popular Culture, Classics in Film, Bollywood & Social Justice, Video Production, and Folklore & Myth in Japanese Film.

Students interested in having one of these courses or another course count as an elective should contact Robert Spadoni.


Other Details

  • Up to 6 credits can count toward both the film minor and a major or other minor.
  • No fewer than 9 of the 15 credits toward the minor must be earned through coursework at CWRU.
  • STUDENTS TAKING A LOT OF FILM COURSES will occasionally run up against the 42-credit limit of ENGL courses that can count toward graduating. If you think you are approaching this limit, look for cross lists for ENGL film courses (WLIT for example).


To Declare a Film Minor

  • Fill out the Film Minor Declaration form. Once you’ve filled it out, print it and make an appointment to see Robert Spadoni, who will sign the form and keep a copy
  • Bring your copy to the Office of Undergraduate Studies