Case Western Reserve English majors can concentrate in film. Students incorporate into their fulfillment of the major requirements nine credits of film study, including ENGL 367—Introduction to Film.

See what some undergraduates who studied film at CWRU have gone on to do.


Film Concentration Requirements



This course is open to all students, including first years, and has no prerequisites.

Look for ENGL 367 in the fall and spring Department of English course offerings and on SIS.


THE REMAINING 6 CREDITS can consist of any combination of the following:

  • ENGL 368—TOPICS IN FILM (up to 6 credits).

ENGL 368—TOPICS IN FILM courses are open to all students, including first years, and have no prerequisites, including ENGL 367—INTRODUCTION TO FILM. There is no limit on the number of ENGL 368 credits a CWRU undergrad can earn.

ENGL 368—TOPICS IN FILM courses include History of Film, Horror Films, Films of Alfred Hitchcock, American Cinema History & Culture, Film Genres, Science Fiction Films, Shakespeare and Film, Classic American Novels on Film, Latin American Cinema, Watching Movies, Film Music, and Storytelling & Cinema.

  • ENGL 368C—TOPICS IN FILM CAPSTONE (up to 3 credits) Read about requirements of the film capstone.
  • ENGL 316—SCREENWRITING (up to 3 credits)
  • ELECTIVE COURSES (up to 3 credits)

Courses that have counted as electives toward the film concentration include: French and African Cinema, Latin American Cinema, Black Religion & Film, The Hollywood Musical, Topics in German Cinema, Film Music, The Hollywood Musical, Jewish Image in Popular Culture, Sword & Sandal: The Ancient Mediterranean in Film, James Bond & Popular Culture, Classics in Film, Bollywood & Social Justice, Video Production, and Folklore & Myth in Japanese Film.

Students interested in having one of these courses or another course count as an elective should contact Robert Spadoni.


Other Details

  • Up to 3 credits of the film concentration can count toward another English major concentration.
  • No fewer than 6 of the 9 credits making up the concentration must be earned through coursework at CWRU.
  • STUDENTS MAJORING IN ENGLISH and also TAKING A LOT OF FILM COURSES will occasionally run up against the 42-credit limit of ENGL courses that can count toward graduating. If you think you are approaching this limit, look for cross lists for ENGL film courses (WLIT for example).


To Declare an English Major with a Concentration in Film

  • Make an appointment to see the chair of the English Department. At the appointment you’ll complete the necessary paperwork.